Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Delusions of Empowerment

Today I feel empowered.

It’s almost like I’m in charge!

I researched the Maternity Leave Policy at work.
I printed all of the applicable forms and will have my OB complete the medical certification form at our first appointment on July 28th.
My manager will be so impressed that I have all of the paperwork done, she won’t even have time to mourn her loss.
I think I’ll give her a chance to soak up the thought that I’ll be gone for three months on maternity leave before I tell her that I want a shorter work day when I return.

I’m planning to tell my boss sometime in August.
After the OB appointment.
After our Florida vacation.
After we tell the kids, and the kids tell the whole world.
Maybe the kids could tell my boss?
Maybe not.

I check out the lactation services at work.
I work at a hospital, so they have nursing centers with hospital grade pumps and lactation consultants and nursing support groups.
Fabulous!
The only problem is that the nearest lactation center is in another building on the other side of the campus, so I would only have to walk ten minutes to get there and ten minutes to get back.
Well, I’m not an expert yet, but I’m thinking I might have to pump milk a couple of times a day.
That means a lot of time walking back and forth.
I’m thinking my boss might let me use that empty office with the big, soft leather chair instead of making me hike to the cow-milking center.
Heavenly…

I also started looking at prenatal classes at the hospital.
I thought it would be great to get started early so we wouldn’t have to take all of the classes at one time.
Looks like they are all designed for the third trimester.
Doesn’t anyone else on this planet believe in advanced preparation?

And the list of classes is endless.
Childbirth Preparation
Breastfeeding Basics
Baby Care
New Dad Boot Camp
Infant and Baby CPR
Car Seat Safety
Happy Baby (why do you need a class for that??!!??)

I wonder how Chris will feel about spending every weekend of our third trimester in a prenatal class?
Doesn’t that sound like fun?

I’m excited about the classes that are available for Kayla and Erica.
I want to sign them up for Sitter Safety.
It’s a babysitting class about baby care and what to do in an emergency.
I think it will be a great learning experience and will give them the confidence to be very involved with their sibling from the very beginning.
And I want them to be very involved.
I plan to exploit their services so I can shower daily.
I know I’m selfish, but I have no shame.

I’d also like to sign them up for the New Sister/New Brother class.
I think it’s intended for younger kids, but I think they’ll enjoy the tour of the hospital nursery.
Maybe I can sneak into the class so I can take a peek at the new babies, too!

Yesterday, I bought the beginnings of a maternity wardrobe.
I surfed around all the popular maternity websites and took a peek at the offerings on walmart.com.
I decided to look on Ebay so I can afford to wear pants AND send our baby to college.

I bought 4 pairs of maternity pants, 2 skirts, and 4 shirts for $50.
Yes, I know I have talent.
I’m saving this baby tons of cash with my thriftiness.
I hope you realize that these purchases will be added to the baby’s tab.
But I’m not mean.
I don’t expect repayment until he at least finishes college.
At least.

So, I’m feeling better about the waiting game today.
I feel like I’m making some progress towards our goal.
I know my body is busy growing this baby everyday, but I don’t like to be a backseat driver.

No comments: