Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Miracle Timeline

Since I have so much catching up to do, I thought it might be a good idea to summarize in a timeline.

April 20, 2006
Rx for birth control pills runs out
The only way to get a refill is to get a PAP Smear
This is an evil tactic used by my OB/GYN to raise cash
Choice: quit using the pill or put my feet in stir-ups
I choose to quit

May 12, 2006
Visit the OB/GYN
I picked a new doc because someday we want to deliver at UHHS/Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital
Erica was born there, and she turned out OK
(maybe that’s an exaggeration, but it still seemed like a good choice)
I love my new doctor and decide that she needs to catch my baby someday
The doc orders blood tests to check for immunizations and Cystic Fibrosis genes
I’m ready to conceive!

May 20, 2006
Period begins.
Cramps from hell.
I paste a smile on my face because my family is celebrating M-Day and my B-Day.
The family makes me breakfast, takes me to the Jewish Heritage Museum to see the Dead Sea Scrolls, takes me to Parasson’s for lunch/dinner, then we head off to Strickland’s for dessert, even though we are all stuffed.
I open presents.
I have a gift card from Pet Smart.
The kids bought me a hamster!
The newest addition to our family is Murphy the Hamster.

May 26, 2006
Chris and I go to Portland, Oregon.
Our first vacation alone together ever.
Probably our last.

June 3, 2006
The pregnancy due date calculators guess this was the date of conception.
Why waste time?

June 17, 2006
Period is late

June 18, 2006
Father’s Day

I take a pregnancy test thinking it would be the best F-Day gift ever.
The test is negative.
I’m a little sad, but excited to keep trying.

June 19, 2006
My doctor’s office calls to say that I am a carrier for the Cystic Fibrosis gene.
I quickly do some internet research.
1 in 4 chance of child with CF if both parents are carriers.
PANIC!
Call Chris.
Chris panics.
Schedule appointment with genetic counselor.

June 20, 2006
Chris and I agonize over the possibilities.
What if Chris is also a carrier?
What if I’m pregnant now?
What if I’m not pregnant and Chris is a carrier, will we keep TTC?
Should I go back on the pill until we get test results?

June 21, 2006
Meet with the genetic counselor.
She makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside and I remember that I trust God.
Whatever the outcome, it will be OK.
Chris refers to me as “Mom” while talking to the counselor.
He’s so cute, I just want to have his baby.

June 22, 2006
Chris takes me to Bob Evan’s for dinner.
We both eat homemade bean soup and salad.
Chris is fine.
I’m not.
Chris insists it’s just morning sickness.
He feeds me soup crackers and milk and it helps.
I’m wondering how this could be happening to me.

June 23, 2006
I take a pregnancy test.
I got one that is either positive (+) or negative (-) because I don’t trust myself to read it properly.
The test is +
I’m in shock.
I go back to bed and cuddle with Chris for an hour.
Chris wonders why the heck I’m trying to climb inside his body and why I won’t fall asleep.
Chris gets up to pee, sees the test, and is also in shock.
We spend the rest of the day in shock.

June 23, 2006
Evening
Chris takes me shopping after dinner.
He buys a crib.
He buys a crib mattress.
He buys a play pen.
He buys a high chair.
He buys diapers, baby wipes, and sippy cups.
I make him put the baby bath tub back because we’ll get that at our shower.
He feels better knowing that we’re ready.
I just LOVE this man.
Isn’t he cute?
I feel better, too.

June 24, 2006
My company picnic at Geauga Lake Amusement Park.
The van overheats one mile from the house.
We wait two hours for the mechanic to fix the van.
Chris tells everyone in the mechanic shop that I’m pregnant.
They go outside to smoke their cigarettes.
We finally get to Geauga Lake, but I can’t ride any rides.
No roller coasters.
No water slides.
No wave pool.
We watch some shows and eat.
I pig out on Loaded Park Fries and Funnel Cake with Strawberries.
We ride the Ferris Wheel.
I’m afraid of the Ferris Wheel.

June 25, 2006
We go to church.
Chris tells Laura that I’m pregnant.
I wanted to wait, but I play volleyball with her and I can’t play anymore.
She wouldn’t believe a lie, so she got the truth.
Laura is excited.
She will be a sponsor for the baptism.

June 26, 2006
I’m still in shock, but the morning sickness (all day sickness), constipation, fatigue, and breast tenderness all remind me that this is really happening.
I’m thankful for these symptoms.
Otherwise, I would be in denial.

June 27, 2006
We’re already 5 weeks pregnant!
Time flies when you have a bun in the oven!

No comments: