Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Feels Like Quarantine

The baby is in control.

There, I admitted it.

Any normal woman would admit defeat at this point and relinquish control. Anyone that knows me would quickly assure you that I am anything but normal.

It seems like every time I turn around, there is just one more thing that I can’t do or one more thing that I can’t eat, or lots of things that I can’t drink.

I NEED STARBUCKS.
I WANT A MOCHA NOW.

On a serious note, Mike (close friend, future sponsor) asked me the other day if I would be flying this summer considering the pregnancy. Before you become jealous regarding the early announcement Mike received, please note that I had to tell Mike and Laura so I could quit volleyball. Yes, volleyball is just one of the many things that I can’t do anymore. I knew Mike and Laura would never believe any excuse (I’m a horrible liar) so I just told them the truth. Laura was very excited and Mike just seemed like he knew it was inevitable.

Back to the subject of flying…

Mike asked if it was OK for me to fly this summer. We’ve been planning to visit my Dad in Florida this summer and were hoping to take Kayla and Erica on a plane for the first time. A 3 hour flight sounds a heck of a lot better than a 24 hour car ride. Or a 3 day Amtrak train ride. UGH!

So I start to panic because I’ve never heard about flying restrictions unless you’re in the third trimester. Mike was an EMT before he hurt his back, so I’m thinking he might know what he is talking about. I decide to call my doctor’s office. They’ve talked to me a lot already, so they already know that I’m neurotic.

The doctor’s office doesn’t help. The nurse tells me that there is a higher risk of miscarriage during the first trimester. There is no evidence to suggest that flying increases that risk, BUT there is no evidence to prove that it doesn’t increase the risk. The change in air pressure does put stress on the mother’s body, so it obviously stresses the baby’s body as well.

The nurse suggested that if I had trouble conceiving, had miscarried in the past, had conceived through IVF, or was high risk, then they would definitely not allow me to fly. But, since I conceived so easily, it would be OK to miscarry this pregnancy and conceive again later. So, go ahead and fly.

WHAT??!!??

Did this lady just tell me that it’s OK if I lose this baby because I could always have another one?

WHAT??!!!!???

I share this information with Chris over dinner (Bob Evan’s again, late work night). I find that Chris is just as neurotic as me. He doesn’t think we should chance it. I love this man.

We’ve waited too long for this baby to throw it away on a vacation. I just can’t.

We talk about driving instead of flying. The doctor’s office told me that I can’t sit in a car for more than 6 hours per day. It would only take 4 days to get to Florida! But I only have seven days of vacation time scheduled…

Are you starting to see how unrealistic this baby is acting?
Truly inconsiderate.

I’m so sad because I know my Dad is REALLY looking forward to seeing us. I REALLY wanted to see him. Especially while we can still afford to fly our entire family to Florida.

So, I’m trying to be optimistic about this whole situation.
Chris and I could always fly to Florida for a long weekend during the second trimester.
Or, we could save our vacation time and let Dad and Renita visit this winter.
Or, we could save our vacation time and let Dad and Renita visit in March.

How am I going to tell Dad?

No comments: