Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Between a Rock and a Gallstone

Chris had a doctor appointment this morning and we learned that the pain he has been having is either a result of acid reflux or gallstones.

Of course, we have fixated on the possibility that he could have gallstones, which would require outpatient surgery. This normally wouldn’t be such an ordeal, except for the fact that we are having a baby at any minute and Chris has had adverse reactions to general anesthesia in the past.

It’s amazing how having a baby suddenly makes you acutely aware of your own mortality.

Personally, I feel empowered in knowing that I can finally support Chris as he has done for me during the past nine months of this pregnancy. He always assumes the role of provider and protector and I like to have an opportunity to show him every once in a while that I’m willing to take care of him, too. Maybe just to reassure him that he doesn’t have to carry the weight of the entire world on his shoulders because I am here to share that burden with him.

Although that probably won’t make Chris feel any better because he will be faced with possible complications of surgery, recovery time, time off of work, and allowing me to take care of him.

In all honesty, this is the most ideal time for Chris to have surgery if he needs it. I will be home from work on maternity leave and will be able to take care of him and keep him company while he recovers. I suppose God already thought of that…

Let’s just pray that it’s acid reflux.


No comments: