Friday, August 11, 2006

SURPRISE!! Parents React

SURPRISE!! Parents React

We just got home from our family vacation in Florida.

We planned to tell my parents by letting the girls wear their shirts on the first day of vacation. Since Dad was working on the day we arrived, Erica didn’t wear her shirt and changed her clothes just before dinner. We didn’t want anyone to have an unfair advantage. That was probably a great idea because one of Erica’s markers exploded on the plane all over the other shirt that she had been wearing. Luckily, it gave her a good excuse to change her clothes.

My parents immediately noticed that her shirt said “Big Sister”, but when she asked them what it meant, they were both stumped.

This wasn’t exactly fair because Dad asked me a couple of days earlier on the phone if Chris and I still planned to have a child or if we had changed our minds. He made me lie to him! I really, really wanted to tell them in person, so I just couldn’t tell him on the phone. So, even though Dad’s first thought was that I was pregnant, he wouldn’t say it out loud.

After five minutes of dropping hints, Erica just couldn’t stand the suspense any longer. She finally blurted out, “Dawn is pregnant!”

The look of shock on their faces was priceless!

We forgot to have the camera ready.

The announcement was greeted by hugs all around and they are very excited.

My own personal thoughts:

I was very reluctant to share the news, simply because I was enjoying sharing this secret with Chris and telling other people just highlights the reality of our situation.

I’m glad we’re finally able to tell our family and friends, because it is helping me to become less anxious about these changes and more excited.

No comments: